Last Updated: February 12th, 2019
PATIENT DATA USAGE
Patient data provided by SVAI for our research cases is made available under the MIT License.
External data used in connection with SVAI cases is governed by terms and conditions of the original source. ex: TCGA Policies and Guidelines.
RESEARCH CASE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The Silicon Valley Artificial Intelligence Research Case (“Research Case”) is an event in which interdisciplinary teams will work to further understand, develop potential interventions and advance the standard of care for rare and undiagnosed disease patients (“Patient”). The purposes of this Research Case include the following:
advance research for rare and undiagnosed patients;
contribute to real, ongoing patient case;
create interdisciplinary opportunities between engineers, biologists and medical professionals;
learn and develop skills in AI/ML, computational biology and genomics; and
build an open community for collaborative biomedicine discovery.
Entrants may create original solutions, prototypes, datasets, scripts, or other content, materials, discoveries or inventions (a “Submission”). The Patient dataset used for this event is open and freely available under the MIT License.
1) BINDING AGREEMENT: In order to participate in the Research Case, you must agree to these Official Rules (“Rules”). Therefore, please read these Rules prior to participation to ensure you understand and agree. You agree that creation or use of a Submission in the Research Case constitutes agreement to these Rules. You may not submit a Submission to the Research Case unless you agree to these Rules. These Rules form a binding legal agreement between you and Silicon Valley Artificial Intelligence (the “Research Case Organizer”) with respect to the Research Case.
2) ELIGIBILITY: To be eligible to participate in the Research Case, you must be: (1) above the age of majority in the country, state, province or jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry; and (2) not a person or entity under U.S. export controls or sanctions. Contest is void where prohibited by law.
If you are entering as part of a company or on behalf of your employer, these rules are binding on you, individually, and/or your employer. If you are acting within the scope of your employment, as an employee, contractor, or agent of another party, you warrant that such party has full knowledge of your actions and has consented thereto, including your potential receipt of a reward. You further warrant that your actions do not violate your employer’s or company’s policies and procedures.
3) SPONSOR: The Research Case is sponsored by the Research Case Organizer (“Research Case Organizer” or “Sponsor”), a California nonprofit corporation Delaware corporation with principal place of business at 145 Gardenside Dr., Unit 9, San Francisco California 94131.
4) RESEARCH CASE PERIOD: The Research Case begins and ends at advertised date and time on Research Case website. (“Research Case Period”). The Research Case Organizer may extend the Research Case Period in its sole discretion. ENTRANTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR DETERMINING THE CORRESPONDING TIME ZONE IN THEIR RESPECTIVE JURISDICTIONS.
5) HOW TO ENTER. To enter the Research Case, register before advertised date and time on Research Case website, following the instructions at https://svai.co/research-apply.
Entrants are entirely responsible for all costs and fees associated with entrant’s participation in the Research Case, including (but not limited to) transportation, accommodation and living costs.
6) GENERAL CONDITIONS: All federal, state, provincial and local laws and regulations apply. The Research Case Organizer reserves the right to disqualify any entrant from the Research Case if, in the Research Case Organizer’s sole discretion, it reasonably believes that the entrant annoys, abuses, threatens or harasses any other entrants or the Research Case Organizer.
7) INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS: As between the Research Case Organizer and the entrant, the entrant retains ownership of all intellectual and industrial property rights (including moral rights) in and to the Submission. As a condition of submission, entrant grants the Research Case Organizer, its subsidiaries, agents and partner companies, a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, adapt, modify, publish, distribute, publicly perform, create a derivative work from, and publicly display the Submission (1) for the purposes of allowing the Research Case Organizer to evaluate the Submission for purposes of the Research Case, (2) for the purposes of evaluating the Submission and improving the Research Case Organizer and third party products, services, systems and networks (including Research Case Organizer research activities, pursued alone or in collaboration with third parties), and (3) in connection with advertising and promotion via communication to the public or other groups, including, but not limited to, the right to make screenshots, animations and Submission clips available for promotional purposes. Entrant agrees to include the following notice in all software where Entrant creates, develops, licenses, sells otherwise makes available that is based upon, arises out of or relates to the Submissions, the Research Case, or entrant’s participation therein:
ANY SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON INFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
8) PRIVACY: Entrant acknowledges and agrees that the Research Case Organizer may collect, store, share and otherwise use personally identifiable information provided during the registration process and the Research Case, including, but not limited to, name, mailing address, phone number, and email address. The Research Case Organizer will use this information in accordance with applicable law. Participant’s information may also be transferred to countries outside the country of participant’s residence, including the United States. Such other countries may not have privacy laws and regulations similar to those of the country of participant’s residence.
If a participant does not provide the mandatory data required at registration, the Research Case Organizer reserves the right to disqualify the entry.
Participant has the right to request access, review, rectification or deletion of any personal data held by the Research Case Organizer in connection with the Contest by writing to the Research Case Organizer at firstname.lastname@example.org
9) PUBLICITY: By participating in the Research Case, entrant agrees to Sponsor and its agencies use of his or her name and/or likeness and Submission for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law.
10) WARRANTY: Entrants warrant that their Submissions are their own original work and, as such, they are either the sole and exclusive owner and rights holder of the submitted Submission, or that they have obtained all necessary permissions to incorporate work that is not their own into their Submission, and that they have the right to submit the Submission in the Research Case and grant all required licenses. Each entrant agrees not to submit any Submission that (1) infringes any third party proprietary rights, intellectual property rights, industrial property rights, personal or moral rights or any other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, privacy, publicity or confidentiality obligations; or (2) otherwise violates the applicable state, federal, provincial or local law.
11) ELIMINATION: Any false information provided within the context of the Research Case by any entrant concerning identity, mailing address, telephone number, email address, ownership of right or non-compliance with these Rules or the like may result in the immediate elimination of the entrant from the Research Case.
12) INTERNET: Sponsor is not responsible for any malfunction of the entire Research Case site or any late, lost, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, undeliverable, or destroyed Submissions or entry materials due to system errors, failed, incomplete or garbled computer or other telecommunication transmission malfunctions, hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, typographical or system/human errors and failures, technical malfunction(s) of any telephone network or lines, cable connections, satellite transmissions, servers or providers, or computer equipment, traffic congestion on the Internet or at the Research Case site, or any combination thereof, including other telecommunication, cable, digital or satellite malfunctions which may limit a participant’s ability to participate.
13) RIGHT TO CANCEL, MODIFY OR DISQUALIFY: If for any reason the Research Case is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Research Case, the Research Case Organizer reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Research Case. The Research Case Organizer further reserves the right to disqualify any entrant who tampers with the submission process or any other part of the Research Case or Research Case site. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any web site, including the Research Case site, or undermine the legitimate operation of the Research Case is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, the Research Case Organizer reserves the right to seek damages from any such entrant to the fullest extent of the applicable law. Event participants will be held liable for any damage caused to people or property.
14) NOT AN OFFER OR CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT: Under no circumstances shall the submission of a Submission into the Research Case, the awarding of a reward, or anything in these Rules be construed as an offer or contract of employment with either the Research Case Organizer, or any other Research Case entities. You acknowledge that you have submitted your Submission voluntarily and not in confidence or in trust. You acknowledge that no confidential, fiduciary, agency or other relationship or implied-in-fact contract now exists between you and the Research Case Organizer or any other Research Case entities and that no such relationship is established by your submission of an Submission under these Rules. Research Case participants hereby acknowledge that event participation is free of charge and that participation does not entail any right to compensation of any kind or to reimbursement of any expenses incurred.
15) FORUM AND RECOURSE TO JUDICIAL PROCEDURES: These Rules shall be governed by, subject to, and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California, United States of America, excluding all conflict of law rules. If any provision(s) of these Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect. To the extent permitted by law, the rights to litigate, seek injunctive relief or make any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or in connection with this Research Case are hereby excluded, and all participants expressly waive any and all such rights.